Thursday, September 24, 2009

Too Close for Comfort?


Lately I have been taking everyone's advice and little by little, SIr Isaac and I have been venturing out into the "real world" rather than being cooped up in the house all day. I am amazed how involved it has become to do simple errands! A 5 minute errand of dropping off the laundry has become a half hour event with car seats, slings, parking, etc.! No more quicky jaunts to the store either! I can't wait until the weather cools down a bit and the poor guy doesn't sweat his little butt off in the car seat!
As You all know, Little Man has had some fussiness/gas issues due to his formula (ugh! I am such a Bad mom!). I started using Gripe water for some hopefull relief. THe first day I tried it he was an angel - coincidence or not - I was sold! Unfortunately I paid for it the next day when the little fussy monster returned!! But we are sticking with it for now.
I have heard great things (mainly online reviews) about Colic Calm Gripe Water. We searched for it in retail stores, but apparently you can only buy it online - which does me no good when I am holding a screaming baby! Who wants to wait for the 3 day shipping? I suppose i could have overnighted it (because you know that is what they are hoping desparate parents will do!) but the 4 oz bottle goes for $30 and overnighting was an extra $20!! $50 for 4oz! For that price it better prevent him from crying until he goes to college!!
I have found the one trick that really helps him calm down is driving around town with the windows down. He really likes the wind in the car. Unfortuantley I do not have that many places in town I want to go - so we end up driving around aimlessly or browsing at the grocery store for hours on end...but if it keeps him calm I will gladly do it!
Of course being out and about doesn't exactly keep us both happy. As Sir Isaac is all cozy sleeping like a king in the grocery store - I am often left with the onslaught of fellow customers who can't help but take a peek at him. (because he is obviously the cutest baby they have EVER seen!) Taking a peek I do not mind! It's the people who think that taking a peek means that they can touch him that drives me crazy! And that doesn't just go for strangers either! Call me crazy but I really have a hard time when most people want to touch him! Is that so wrong?
I have no problem telling people they can look but not touch - but its hard when it is friends who want to hold him or get a little too close! I do not want to be rude (most of the time), but I don't want their germs either. I have no qualms with telling people to wash their hands first, especially smokers, coughers, kids, hell I even make Jason and Ronnie scrub down after work! All the hype over the swine flu does not help either.
Don't get me wrong, I have never been a germ-a-phobe, but how can you not be when it comes to something so delicate as a newborn's immune system! Why put him at risk? Can you be too careful? Is there really such a thing? Hell, I don't even like people touching Zorro! I am sure if the swine flu were not an issue I would not have so many fears of taking him out or letting other people oogle at him, but it is also my job to keep him safe. I just do not know where the line is between keeping him safe and being obnoxious. I guess for now I will continue to carry my hand sanitizer everywhere and politely tell people Mommy is a little OCD about NOT TOUCHING the baby....what do I care if they think I am weird! It could be worse - I could NOT know I am weird!! :)

2 comments:

  1. Hi nik, hang in there. I know what i'm getting sir isaac---gift certificate for that gripe water!!! Don't worry help is on the way with Emily and Max!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely carry hand sanitizer around with you and be firm about it. I AM a germaphobe and have no problem ( or at least hope I won't ) telling people do NOT touch. The last thing you want is your little baby sick. That would be the pits. Keep on keeping on, girl.

    ReplyDelete